etcetera patch

Semen A. Ustimenko semenu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 13 01:06:53 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Paul Eggert wrote:

> [skiped]
>
> On second thought you're probably right.  This stuff is so obsolete now,
> changing it would probably add to confusion rather than subtracting it.

Oops.. Sorry, but i can't imagine how can keeping wrong subtract
confusion.

> > Note the comments in the file itself:
> >
> >   # We use POSIX-style signedness in the names and output,
> >   # internal-style signedness in the specifications.
> >   # For example, TZ=Etc/GMT+4 corresponds to 4 hours _behind_ UTC;
> >   # it is equivalent to TZ=GMT+4, which is implemented directly as per POSIX.

It's you, who said: ``Note the comments''! As it seems to me, defineing
GMT+4 as

Zone    Etc/GMT+4       -4      -       GMT+4

is a bit wrong, as it is really 4 hours _ahead_ of UTC.

> [skiped]

> How about if we change the above comments to be something like this instead?
>
> [skiped]

Will this change make me happy? I want right time displayed, and i use
TZ=Etc/GMT+6.

Bye!

P.S: I'm not in list, and i'm not an experienced enough. So, i beg
you pardon in avant, if my opinion is stupid and i can't understand
it by myself.

Maybe i'm confused a lot, and i have to use GMT-6 ? I live in Siberia, and
it is always 6 hours _later_ then GMT.