Fw: What is a time zone?

Thomas Carey tcarey at bluetrain.com
Wed Feb 14 17:05:16 UTC 2001

great analysis, david. thanks. I think you hit the nail on the head about
differences in approach to the problem.

Of course in practical terms a simple model has some strengths in terms of
user interface.

Put another way - most calendaring applications dealing with timezones are
concerned with coordinating events now and in the future - and assume
further more that it is possible to present an interface which allows users
to distinguish between timezones in different locales regardless of whether
they might share a common abbreviation in popular usage. Then it is 'just' a
matter of completeness to instantiate every timezone in use now, and to keep
that current moving forward, while preserving the historical data. Then,
given a localtime and a "timezone" (abstracted as a set of rules for
computing offset from UTC) we can coordinate events around the globe.

In fact it seems like that approach would work for historical events as
well - as long as you could identify the timezone. Which is I guess the
point you are making - it is much easier to go from locale to "timezone"
than vice-versa, even in the present, and even if "timezone" is well defined
for the user. Also I can see that you can better support a COMPLETE database
with a locale based interface - the interface for exposing *every*
enumerated timezone thoughout history would be overwhelming and
unappreciated.

tc