etcetera patch

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Fri Feb 16 06:32:14 UTC 2001

Okay, that was much better. It is still complicated matter, but at least it
was so clear that I got encouraged to make another suggestion for
how to formulate it. I thought that the essence of "what many people
expect" got lost in the examples. How about this:

# We use POSIX-style signs in the Zone names and the output abbreviations,
# even though this is the opposite of what many people expect.
# POSIX has positive signs west of Greenwich, while most people expect
# positive signs east of Greenwich. For example, TZ='Etc/GMT+4' corresponds
# to 4 hours behind UTC (i.e. west of Greenwich) which many people would
# expect to see as GMT-4. In Draft 5 of the next version of POSIX, the angle
# bracket notation (which is not yet supported by the tz code) allows for
# TZ='<GMT-4>+4'; if you also want abbreviations that conform to ISO 8601
# you can use TZ='<-0400>+4'. Thus the expected offset is kept within the
# angle bracket (and not used for calculation) while the POSIX sign is kept
# outside the angle bracked (and used for calculation).

Regards,

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Programador/Analista
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (5) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (5) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
CIMMYT home page:
 http://cimmyt.cgiar.org
Check out my free program World Time Explorer:
http://timezone50.homepage.com