Plea to Microsoft to allow RTC=UTC

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 17:40:40 UTC 2001

I spent the afternoon looking for interesting strings in the Windows 2000
kernel. I noted a UTF-16 encoded string "RealTimeIsUniversal"
(NTOSKRNL.EXE:bbd4, NTKRNLPA.EXE:9304). This makes me wonder whether
Windows 2000 doesn't already have an undocumented registry entry

  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal

or so that allows to keep the RTC in UTC (probably REG_DWORD with 0 or 1).
None of this is documented or supported by Microsoft, so try at your
own risk ...

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

Markus