Proposal: API for thread-safe time zone functions

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 18:29:46 UTC 2001

Garrett Wollman wrote on 2001-06-07 17:11 UTC:
> All of these suggestions are essentially orthogonal to the main issue
> of re-entrant, thread-specific time conversions.  I suggest that
> Mr. Lennox's proposal is much more likely to be gain concensus than
> any changes to the underlying interfaces.

IMHO, API's should be designed properly right from the beginning,
because they can't be withdrawn in the future. The world is already full
of quick-add-on reentrant API fixes that later had to be again
superseded by something different, because only the thread-safely and
none of the other accumulated problems had been addressed.

Markus

P.S.: I just fixed lots of broken links in the reference section of

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/c-time/

that had moved around, so if you couldn't find something, please try
again.