Additional Greenland time zone

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Sat Jun 9 22:15:53 UTC 2001

Actually, my speaking danish helped me to find another page which is more recent
than Steffens page, and which mentions the time zone change in March 2001.
Besides it is part of the web pages of the government in Greenland. But the
information corresponds to Steffens information. Unfortunately it doesn't mention
the GMT offset of each area.

Greenland has been under Home Rule (sort of independence) but somewhat
supported economically by the Danish Government during many years.
Foreign policy has
always been administered by the danish government, so that is why I am a
bit puzzled that the 'europe' file says that Greenland left EU 1985-02-01, but
they are still following EU time zone rules. There is still
one representative from Greenland in the danish parliament (folketinget), which
is elected at each danish election, thus coordinating the election dates of
Denmark to be followed strictly in Greenland.

On the page http://www.epr.gl/government/welcome.htm you can scroll down
to the little sun which says "sommertid" and entering this goes to
http://www.epr.gl/government/dk_pressrel/160301_sommertid.html
which has the following text, with my translation in english:

==========================
Sommertid starter
::Summer time starts

Så nærmer tiden sig, hvor sommeren er tilbage og der skal skiftes fra vintertid
til sommertid.
:: Now the time approaches, when the summer is back and it is necessary to
:: shift from winter time to summer time.

Søndag den 25. marts, 2001, skal der skiftes til sommertid. Der skiftes officielt
natten mellem lørdag og søndag.
:: Sunday the 25.th. of March, 2001, it is necessary to shift to summer time.
:: The official change happens the night between Saturday and Sunday.

Det betyder, at Lørdag den 24. marts klokken 22.00 skal klokken stilles een time
frem til klokken 23.00.
:: This means that Saturday March 24 at 22:00 o'clock the time will be set one
:: hour ahead to 23:00 o'clock.

For Ittoqqortoormiit starter sommertiden Søndag den 25. marts klokken 00.00,
hvor klokken stilles een time frem til klokken 01.00.
:: For Ittoqqortoormiit the summer time starts Sunday March 25 at 0:00 o'clock,
:: where the time will be set one hour ahead to 1:00 o'clock.

For så vidt angår Danmarkshavn og forsvarsområdet ved Pituffik er der ikke indført
sommertid.
:: Concerning Danmarkshavn and the defense area at Pituffik there has not
:: been implemented summer time.
==========================

So the main changes are a new time zone Danmarkshavn with GMT+0 with no
DST, and that the time zone America/Thule no longer uses
summer time.

As a personal comment, maybe the Pituffik air base (Thule) is internally using
US daylight saving by the american personnel, while the local population
nearby does not use summer time, as documented by the forementioned
web pages. If that is the case, I don't know if we would make two different
time zones for Thule ... but this is all highly speculative.

Regards,

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Programador/Analista
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (5) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (5) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
CIMMYT home page:
http://cimmyt.cgiar.org
Check out my free program World Time Explorer:
http://www20.Brinkster.com/timezone50/index.htm
http://members.theglobe.com/timezone50/index.htm