FW: Updated Australian time zone names/strings

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Thu Mar 22 21:04:36 UTC 2001

> >    - Browse the ABC News site and see the instances of "AEST" and "AEDT"
> >      (even "ACST" and "AWST" for central and western standard time) in
>
> ABC News also uses EAT/EAST on occasion; see
> <http://www.abc.net.au/tennis/1.htm>.

They also use AET/AEST on occasion; see
<http://www.abc.net.au/referendum99/abc.htm>.

One more thought.  An important goal of changing the abbreviations is
to reduce ambiguity.  "AEST" is ambiguous in practice, since some
people use AEST/AEDT and others use AET/AEST.  (ABC News uses both. :-)

One solution would be to use unambiguous abbreviation pairs like
AET/AEDT or AET/AESuT, but as far as I can tell these combinations are
hardly ever used in practice.