Question about US TZ rules (Possible error in the data)

Zane Appel Zane at HandMadeSoftware.com
Sun Mar 25 20:15:16 UTC 2001

Hello,

Please see the data below from your latest data release (2001a):

# From Arthur David Olson (2000-09-25):
# Last night I heard part of a rebroadcast of a 1945 Arch Oboler radio
drama.
# In the introduction, Oboler spoke of "Eastern Peace Time."
# An AltaVista search turned up
# <a href="http://rowayton.org/rhs/hstaug45.html">:
# "When the time is announced over the radio now, it is 'Eastern Peace
# Time' instead of the old familiar 'Eastern War Time.'  Peace is
wonderful."
# </a> (August 1945) by way of confirmation.

# Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE
LETTER/S
Rule	US	1918	1919	-	Mar	lastSun	2:00	1:00
Rule	US	1918	1919	-	Oct	lastSun	2:00	0
*Rule	US	1942	only	-	Feb	9	2:00	1:00
W # War
Rule	US	1945	only	-	Aug	14	23:00u	1:00
P # Peace

I am confused about the rule for 1942 above (with asterisk.)  Since
the paragraph above says that they started calling it 'Eastern Peace
Time' in 1945 doesn't that imply that the 1942 rule was in effect from
1942 to 1945 and not 1942 only?

Thanks in Advance,

Zane Appel