Military / NATO single-letter time zone names

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Tue May 1 06:37:05 UTC 2001

    Date:        Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:08:16 +0100
    From:        Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk>

  | Interesting bit from the new RFC 2822, which supersedes the RFC 822
  | Internet email header format:

I'm not sure it is all that interesting really.   I mean, when was the
last time anyone actually saw one of those one letter military type
timezones (which can't even express anything not an even hour from UTC)
other than possibly Z in an e-mail?

Also note from RFC1123 (October 1989)

         The military time zones are specified incorrectly in RFC-822:
         they count the wrong way from UT (the signs are reversed).  As
         a result, military time zones in RFC-822 headers carry no
         information.

so there isn't really anything new in 2822 (other than perhaps the
addition of "-0000" to say "I have no idea" as a formalism).

kre