Corrections of zone.tab for CN entries

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Sep 24 17:52:05 UTC 2001

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:25:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From: <yaoz at vidar.niaaa.nih.gov>
>
> 1. City names are in old form.  Now there is a standard way (pinyin)
> to write it and it should be used;

The tz database uses the most common spelling in ordinary English.
For example, it uses "Rome", even though "Roma" is the correct Italian
name.  When I first added those entries, the pinyin method was not the
most common spelling in English, and my impression is that "Chungking"
and "Kashgar" are still quite commonly used in English, so it's not
entirely clear to me that the time is right to switch to pinyin.
(If I'm incorrect about this, please let me know.)

However, I think it's quite reasonable to support both spellings, and
so I'll add aliases for the pinyin spellings in my next proposed patch.

> 2. Comments are not quite right.  This may due to the historic
> reasons.  Because of these problems, when users in China are
> presented a form to pick a time zone, they are very confused.

How about if we make the following change for now?

CN	+3114+12128	Asia/Shanghai	most locations
CN	+4545+12641	Asia/Harbin	Heilongjiang
CN	+2934+10635	Asia/Chungking	China mountains
CN	+4348+08735	Asia/Urumqi	Tibet & most of Xinjiang
CN	+3929+07559	Asia/Kashgar	Eastern Turkestan

The "most locations" phrase should reduce some of the confusion; it's
used for other countries that have a similar situation (e.g. Chile,
New Zealand).

I'm not sure about using the label "Beijing Time" for all of these
locations.  (Don't people say "China time" more often than "Beijing
Time"?)  Ideally the five entries would clearly delineate the
boundaries between the five regions of China that have different time
zone histories, but I don't have that information to hand right now.