Help on time zone data

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sun Apr 7 13:54:53 UTC 2002

> Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 12:17:15 +0200
> From: Oscar van Vlijmen <o.van.vlijmen at tip.nl>

> ADD a file called Documentation.html. Put in the file Documentation.html the
> text of the file Theory and add at least the html converted zic.8 file to
> the Documentation.html file.

That would require that we maintain two copies of the same information
by hand, indefinitely.  From long experience I've learned this is a
bad idea.  It more than doubles the maintenance burden.  Inevitably
the two versions will disagree.

It'd be a good thing to have an HTML version of this information.
But it wouldn't be good to maintain a separate copy by hand.

Also, I'd rather not invest too much more time maintaining the
documentation in HTML format.  There are better formats for
documentation, and HTML can be generated from them, so I'd prefer to
do that.  I realize that tz-link.htm is in HTML, but that's a pain and
I'd rather not increase the pain level.

> Texinfo, DocBook, linuxdoc-sgml, xml,
> whatever, are NOT platform independent nor universally readable.

That wouldn't be a problem, so long as we could generate the HTML (and
the man page) automatically from the common format.