dislocated time/space regions

Rives McDow rmcdow at enteles.com
Tue Apr 9 15:44:55 UTC 2002

The most interesting region I have found consists of three towns on the
southern coast of Australia, population 10 at last report, along with
50,000 sheep, about 100 kilometers long and 40 kilometers into the
continent.  The primary town is Madura, with the other towns being
Mundrabilla and Eucla.  According to the sheriff of Madura, the
residents got tired of having to change the time so often, as they are
located in a strip overlapping the border of South Australia and Western
Australia.  South Australia observes daylight saving time; Western
Australia does not.  The two states are one and a half hours apart.  The
residents decided to forget about this nonsense of changing the clock so
much and set the local time 20 hours and 45 minutes from the
international date line, or right in the middle of the time of South
Australia and Western Australia.  As it only affects about 10 people and
tourists staying at the Madura Motel, it has never really made as big an
impact as Broken Hill.  However, as tourist visiting there or anyone
calling the local sheriff will attest, they do keep time in this way.

	There are quite a few of these types of regions in the world; I'll

try and post them as I get the time.

Rives McDow