Time Zones changes in Argentina

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sat Feb 2 05:15:55 UTC 2002

> From: "Mariano Absatz" <baby at baby.com.ar>
> Date: 	Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:39:00 -0300
>
> now that I browse your proposed changes I see that the change to DST
> that was to happen in 1999/2000 (and never came to life, see the
> thread "Changes in Argentina (or not)" starting June 6, 2001) are
> still reflected in the tables.
>
> In fact, there are 2 entries in EVERY zone in Argentina of the form:
> > 			-3:00	Arg	AR%sT	1999 Oct  3
> > 			-4:00	Arg	AR%sT	2000 Mar  3
> to cancel the effect of the rules:
> > Rule	Arg	1999	only	-	Oct	Sun>=1	0:00	1:00	S
> > Rule	Arg	2000	only	-	Mar	Sun>=1	0:00	0	-
>
> Wouldn't it be more simple to just erase all of them (including the rules,
> obviously)?

Yes, thanks, that would simplify the tables, and it wouldn't affect
the offset from UTC; but it would be a change nevertheless.  It would
change both the time zone abbreviation ("ART" versus "ARST") and the
indicator of whether daylight-saving time was in effect at the time
(tm_isdst, in the C programming language).

My impression is that the period in question was considered to be
daylight-saving time.  That is why the tables are written the way they
are.  If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.