Time Zones changes in Argentina

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Mon Feb 4 19:03:37 UTC 2002

> From: "Mariano Absatz" <baby at baby.com.ar>
> Date: 	Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:43:14 -0300
>
> AFAIK, as the 1999 Timezone Law was never effective, so there was no DST
> applied during that period...

If I understand the situation correctly, you're correct that the 1999
law did not affect the UTC offset: the clocks were always at offset
-3:00 from UTC.  However, my impression is that the law did declare
that from 1999-10-03 through 2000-03-02 Argentina's standard UTC
offset was changed from -3:00 to -4:00, and that daylight-saving time
was in effect during that period.

For most purposes the distinction is academic, as wall clocks didn't
need to be changed.  But the distiction sometimes matters.  For
example, an English-language "date" command should have printed "ARST"
(not "ART") in Argentina during the period in question.