symlinks

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Mar 19 14:43:22 UTC 2002

"Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" scripsit:

> What I'm after is something that handles such real-world cases correctly;
> I'm willing to let non-real-world cases slide.

Almost anything could be a real-world case, given the tangles of symbolic
links that are often used for backward compatibility.  I got into considerable
trouble with a program that rewrote /etc/aliases on a system in which
that was a symlink for /etc/mail/aliases.

I strongly recommend copying.  Disk space is cheap, copy times are quick,
typically only one file (the one in /etc) is affected.  And it works every time.

--
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com