Normatively citing the TZ database

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sun Aug 31 07:46:58 UTC 2003

At Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:05:31 -0400,
Jonathan Lennox <lennox at cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> Currently reference [9] refers to <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm>,
> which is tz-link.htm from tzcode.  I've been asked, though, whether this is
> the best way to make reference to the TZ database; and I have to concede
> that it might not be, since it's dependent on Twinsun's continuing support.

The only other plausible reference would be to
<ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/>, but that's a little more forbidding to
non-experts.  In theory the elsie URL has the same problem as the
twinsun URL, as the elsie URL depends on NCI's continuing support; but
it has been around longer.

You might consider including both URLs.