compile errors on timezone database

Martin Smoot msmoot at nssolutions.com
Wed Dec 3 17:51:22 UTC 2003

it might be a good idea for the next revision of the database to make a
modification to zic to include the handling of a new "expectzicversion" line in
the various data files.  if we had a switch like this now, each file could
contain something like this:

#
# This file expects a version of zic that is 7.95 or later
# if you are running an older version, upgrading is recommended
# but you can continue to run with the older version if this
# line is removed but some data may not be converted correctly.
#
expectzicversion 7.95

when I ran with an expectzicversion line added to one of the files (as a test),
I got an error message and the program aborted.

the advantage to a line like this is that it would encourage people to upgrade
zic (thus preventing/correcting many possible problems) and would allow a future
change which requires a new zic to work correctly to be very quickly identified.

Rodrigo Severo wrote:

> Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) wrote:
>
> >Another possibility is to change the spelling of...
> >       24:00
> >...to...
> >       23:59:60
> >...which works with any version of zic issued 1988 or later.
> >Let's hear it for leap seconds!
> >

> As the support for the 24:00 notation has been introduced 5 years ago I
> suggest that anyone with the 24:00-support problem is simply encouraged
> to update his zic to a >= 7.95 version.
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Rodrigo Severo
>
> --
> Rodrigo Severo
> Fábrica de Idéias
> Fone: +55(61)321 1357
> Fax: +55(61)223 1712
> SBS - Quadra 2 - Ed. Empire Center - Sala 1301
> Brasília/DF - Brasil
> CEP: 70.070-904

Martin Smoot
Network Storage Solutions