My confusion with Asia/Aqtau

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Jul 22 05:42:46 UTC 2003

Chuck Soper <chucks at lmi.net> writes:

> Does this indicate that I'm using a different version of the timezone package?

Most likely, yes.

> How can I determine what version of the timezone package is installed
> on my system? I hope that I'm using version 2003a.

There should be a way to do this, at least for the timezone code like
zdump.c.  Perhaps you could add a "--version" option for zdump and
zic?  If you donated code to do that, I suspect that Arthur David
Olson would buy it.

zdump has this at the start:

#ifndef lint
#ifndef NOID
static char	elsieid[] = "@(#)zdump.c	7.29";
#endif /* !defined NOID */
#endif /* !defined lint */

and zic.c has something similar, but they don't work well.
Nowadays many compilers optimize away these unused strings.

Basicall, all the "--version" option needs to do is to print
the elsieid.