East Timor - Leste?

Jesper Nørgaard jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Mar 8 05:58:24 UTC 2003

I have noticed that some sources insist that there was a name change of East Timor to (the more portuguese correct) Timor Leste or Timor-Leste. Even official sources are not consistant in the naming, but I have noted that two important sources

http://www.imf.org/external/country/index.htm

and

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49chang.htm

are consistently using Timor-Leste. I presume that this is also where the recent East Timor (or Timor-Leste) abbreviations TLS (ISO 3-letter country code) and TL (ISO 2-letter country code) are derived from. Should we make a name change?

Regards,

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (5) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (5) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the free program World Time Explorer, I made: http://www.cimmyt.org/timezone/index.htm