FW: Europe/Paris timezone bug

LIVINGSTON Alex boyalexy at mac.com
Sat Nov 15 05:01:33 UTC 2003

Jason, Rodrigo, and others:

I at first misunderstood Jason's explanation because he wrote
"...Daylight saving goes into effect..." when what he meant was
"...daylight saving goes out of effect..." or "...daylight-saving time
ends...", and I then didn't look at the dates in the following output.

Rodrigo's explanation is correct, but it overlooks one thing: if the
device's clock is set to a time between 02:00 and 03:00 on the morning
that daylight saving ends, the behaviour described implies that the
device regards the time it is set to as being the first occurrence of
that time that night (as all times between 02:00 and 03:00 occur twice
on that night). What determines that?

If, as I first imagined, the time of a device is set to 02:14 on the
morning daylight saving _starts_, a time that does not occur, what
happens then?

Alex