Question about Enewetak

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Fri Sep 19 21:56:52 UTC 2003

> On many places in the Internet I find pages that tell that Enewetak on
> the Marshall Islands has an offset vs. Greenwich Meantime of -12 hours,
> but the tz data base states +12 hours (for all Islands of the
> Marshalls).
> What is correct?

My copy of the "Reference map of Oceania", University of Hawai'i Press,
Honolulu, places Enewetak (many times spelled as Eniwetok, Enewetak is
official) in the Republic of Marshall Islands, with an offset of UT+12 for
the whole group of islands & atols.

The tz-database says UT-12 until 1993 Aug. 20, UT+12 since then, with a
little complication for the period Oct. 1969 - Aug. 20 1993.

Oscar van Vlijmen
2003-09-19