Question about Enewetak

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Sep 19 23:07:05 UTC 2003

>> On many places in the Internet I find pages that tell that Enewetak on
>> the Marshall Islands has an offset vs. Greenwich Meantime of -12 hours,

Can you give some examples of that?  For example, the Worldwide
Airport Path Finder <http://www.wapf.com/world/PKMA.html> says that
the airfield on Enewetak uses UTC+12.  radioamateur.org says that
local time is UTC+12; see
<http://www.radioamateur.org/hfdx/articles/wmview.php?ArtID=4>.

> The tz-database says UT-12 until 1993 Aug. 20, UT+12 since then, with a
> little complication for the period Oct. 1969 - Aug. 20 1993.

As far as I know, that complication applies only to Kwajalein, and the
rest of the Marshall Islands have been at UTC+12 since October 1969.