TZ changes for Brazil for 2003/2004

Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires p at ppires.org
Sat Sep 20 05:38:41 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:52:50PM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> At 18 Sep 2003 15:36:28 -0300, Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires writes:
>
> > Attached are my diffs to tzdata2003c for the just-released rules for
> > Brazilian summer time 2003/2004.
>
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> > Since this year two states that traditionally obeyed summer time are
> > no longer doing so, I had to create two new cities, namely Salvador
> > and Campo Grande, for the states of Bahia (BA) and Mato Grosso do
> > Sul (MS).
>
> Unfortunately "America/Salvador" is a fairly ambiguous name, since
> there are many cities called "Salvador" in the Americas.  I am
> thinking that perhaps we should call that entry "America/Bahia"
> instead.  Normally we don't give state names to locations, but this
> might be time to make an exception.  We already made an exception for
> the city of San Salvador, in Central America, for the same reason; its
> entry is called "America/El_Salvador".

I thought about the confusion "Salvador" could cause, but since other
cities/countries had "San_"/"El_" prefixes, I thought it'd been OK.
"Bahia" is likely to be a good choice.  I had thought of other cities,
like Porto Seguro (which has historical meaning: it was the very first
european stop in South America; now it is a very popular touristic and
resort city) or the city of Ilhéus, another of Bahia's largest cities.

> > # Another change for 2003/2004 (not in http://pcdsh01.on.br/ yet -- ON has
> > # been lagging behind lastest decrees; this information was found in
> > # http://oglobo.globo.com/online/pais/110274614.asp).
>
> Unfortunately I can't view that page; it asks for subscriber information.

Not really.  You can just type any e-mail (even non-existant) and pass-
word.

> Do you have a presidential decree number?  I'd like to refer to the
> official decree.

I checked presidential web site all day and saw nothing, but Vitor was
successful in finding relevant information in the Ministry for Ores
and Energy's web site.

> The previous daylight-saving decree wias 4,399, and we're referring to
> <http://www.presidencia.gov.br/CCIVIL/decreto/2002/D4399.htm> rather
> than to <http://pcdsh01.on.br/figuras/HV4399.gif> because HTML is
> better than GIF for this sort of thing.  If you can give me a decree
> number, perhaps I can deduce the URL at www.presidencia.gov.br.
>
> > Rule	Brazil	2003	max	-	Oct	Sun>=14	 0:00	1:00	S
> > Rule	Brazil	2004	max	-	Feb	Sun>=14	 0:00	0	-
>
> "Sun>=14" is unusual.  Normally it would be "Sun>=15" (the 3rd Sunday
> of the month).  There's no difference between "Sun>=14" and "Sun>=15"
> for October 2003 and February 2004, so I assume it's OK to change
> these occurrences to "Sun>=15".

I believe you're right.  But... who can say anything is right about
Brazilian rules at all? :)  (I live in Rio, and I can testify the
chaos caused when our mayor (who is in the office again now) wanted
to extend summer time only here (and he already said he wants to do
this again this time).)

> Thank you again for providing the updated information.

Let's see if I do it right next year (when rules will probably change
again...).

Best regards,
--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.