FW: summer / daylight time terminology usage Sydney, AU

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Mon Apr 5 18:31:09 UTC 2004

Darren Blanch is not on the time zone mailing list; direct replies
appropriately (and note Darren's request at the end of the message).

				--ado

From: darspam at optusnet.com.au
To: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:00:22 +1000
Subject: summer / daylight time terminology usage Sydney, AU
Return-Receipt-To: darspam at optusnet.com.au

I found ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ via a reference in rfc2445.  The
"australasia"
document within tzdata2003e.tar.gz made for a specially interesting read.

I may be able to add something to the AESD/AEDT/EST/summer/daylight time
debate:

I am from Sydney, NSW, and have lived there all my life.  I distinctly
remember
from when I was growing up (in the 70s), that people (incl. commercial TV
news/weather)  used to refer to "EST" for Eastern Standard Time and "DST"
for
Daylight Savings Time.  Weather reports were generally tailored for each
city/region so the "Eastern" could be inferred.  (This inconsistency
disturbed my
naturally logical bent, even as a child, which is why I remember it.)
However, the
phrase "Eastern Summer Time" was also in wide use.

These days, AEST and AEDT seem to be widespread, possibly an American
influence??

As to the phrase "summer time" versus "daylight time", the locals almost
never
say "daylight time".  Subjectively, I would say that "daylight savings time"
is the
most common phrase in use, rather than "summer time" (even though the
legislation uses "summer time").

Similarly, when talking about start and end dates, we would say "when does
daylight savings start?" or "when does daylight saving start?".  Note, not
"daylight
savings time" but "[the practice of] daylight-saving".

Regards,
Darren R. BLANCH                        (SN=Blanch,GN=Darren)
Blacktown, NSW, Australia
dns:darren.blanch.name

[Please direct replies to darspam at bhsc.nsw.gov.au in addition to
darspam at optusnet.com.au, since I check the work address more frequently.
Also, please don't include my email addresses in any versions of the data
file -
just "Darren R. Blanch" should suffice if your policies allow.]