Hokkaido "Daylight Savings Time" experiment last summer

Jonathan Lennox lennox at cnr.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 13 19:27:47 UTC 2004

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on the time zone list.

This past summer, a number of companies in Sapporo, the capital of Hokkaido
in northern Japan, experimented with a trial-run of Daylight Savings Time in
order to boost the local economy, which seems to have been somewhat
successful.

The experiment seems to have involved just changing working hours, rather
than actually changing the clocks, but there are proposals to apply it
officially.

News stories, in English:

Japan Times: <http://202.221.217.59/print/news/nn08-2004/nn20040819a9.htm>
Asahi Shimbun: <http://www.asahi.com/english/nation/TKY200408170187.html>

I originally spotted this in this week's issue of The Economist, but given
the track record (see the comment on Asia/Baghdad) I thought I'd confirm it
elsehwere.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs.columbia.edu