Definition of time_t changed from signed to unsigned...

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Tue Jul 13 15:46:45 UTC 2004

> The problem is that the timezone subsystem seems to expect time_t to be
signed. There are a number of functions that only work if time_t is signed.
> E.g. function localsub() in file localtime.c.

The presence of the comment...
	/*
	** If time_t is signed, then 0 is just above the median,
	** assuming two's complement arithmetic.
	** If time_t is unsigned, then (1 << bits) is just above the median.
	*/
...is a reminder that some effort went into ensuring that the stuff in
localtime.c would work whether time_t was signed or unsigned.
I'd love to get details on what's going wrong with localsub when time_t is
unsigned.

				--ado