Time Zone Localizations

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 11 01:11:51 UTC 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Mark Davis wrote:

> I'd very much appreciate any feedback on the proposal.

Some of the countries listed as missing zones are:

	Bouvet Island - an uninhabited volcanic island, almost entirely
covered by glaciers, controlled by Norway, and designated as a nature
reserve, according to

		http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bv.html

	I don't know if the automated meteorological station on the island
cares about time zones or not.

	Heard Island and McDonald Islands - uninhabited, barren, sub-Antarctic
islands now controlled by Australia, designated as a nature preserve,
according to

		http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/hm.html

	They don't even mention any automated meteorological stations, just
seals and birds.

	Yugoslavia - it's now Serbia and Montenegro.  Europe/Belgrade is the
correct zone for it.

Some of the time zones listed as missing countries are:

	Europe/Belgrade: Serbia and Montenegro, which has the ISO 3166-1
Alpha-2 code CS, according to

		http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/01whats-new/2003
-07-23_statement_cs.html

	Asia/Riyadh{87,88,89}: Saudi Arabia, SA - those are historical, from
an era when Saudi Arabia used solar time, and apply only to Riyadh
(and, if you're really fussy, to a particular location in Riyadh, I
guess), so they're not appropriate for Saudi Arabia as a whole.  I
don't know what names you'd give them.

Etc/GMT{[+-]N} are just for fixed GMT offsets; they don't correspond to
countries.

WET, CET, MET, and EET "are for backward compatibility with older
versions"; various Europe/XXX rules should presumably be used instead -
I guess you could pick cities for each of them.