Time Zone Localizations

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sat Jun 12 01:21:00 UTC 2004

Yes, it would be very nice if there were explicit data in the database that
would allow someone to programmatically derive the following:

1. The set of links to not skip (because then there would be country IDs with no
TZID).
> Arctic/Longyearbyen // or Atlantic/Jan_Mayen, don't care which
> Europe/Bratislava
> Europe/Ljubljana
> Europe/San_Marino
> Europe/Sarajevo
> Europe/Skopje
> Europe/Vatican
> Europe/Zagreb
(http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icuhtml/design/formatting/zone_l
og.html#skipped_aliases)

2. The set of oddballs to skip (in forming a choice list)
WET, CET, MET, EET, Asia/Riyadh87, Asia/Riyadh88, Asia/Riyadh89

3. And if the database had unique TZIDs corresponding to the 'missing' ISO
country codes BV, HM, and a mapping in zone.tab for those, and from some
private-use ISO country code to the GMT* codes (I suggested ZZ, but any one of
the following are available: AA, QM-QZ, XA-XZ and ZZ).

Actually, if the oddballs in #2 just didn't have a mapping from a private-use
ISO code, that would suffice.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄