Time Zone Localizations

Masayoshi Okutsu Masayoshi.Okutsu at Sun.COM
Sat Jun 12 14:35:10 UTC 2004

It's strange. I responded to your message about 13 hours ago, but it
doesn't show up yet... Let me try again (with a short version).

I believe you misunderstood my first question. It's simply an invalid
assumption that a zone (in the Olson zoneinfo) represents a single time
zone. How do you describe the following with the LDML spec, for example?

# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone    Asia/Singapore  6:55:25 -       LMT     1901 Jan  1
                        6:55:25 -       SMT     1905 Jun  1 # Singapore M.T.
                        7:00    -       MALT    1933 Jan  1 # Malaya Time
                        7:00    0:20    MALST   1936 Jan  1
                        7:20    -       MALT    1941 Sep  1
                        7:30    -       MALT    1942 Feb 16
                        9:00    -       JST     1945 Sep 12
                        7:30    -       MALT    1965 Aug  9 # independence
                        7:30    -       SGT     1982 Jan  1 # Singapore Time
                        8:00    -       SGT

If the given date is, for example, 1942-02-16, the local time zone name
has to be "JST" (in the short form). I didn't think LDML would allow for
defining historical time zone names. I didn't mean "historical" tome
zone *IDs*. (I really don't understand "modern" and "historical" in your
message, though. All of (most of?) the zones are modern. They just have
their own history. And we just don't know what will happen to zones in
the future. What you think is "modern" today might be "historical"
tomorrow.)

Thanks,
Masayoshi