Time Zone Localizations

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sun Jun 13 19:42:13 UTC 2004

Well, here's something like what a spec would be. A document with a stable link,
e.g.  ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/olson_timezone_specification.html, that
describes (not necessarily in order):

1. What are the all valid Olson TZIDs (not necessarily a list in the document,
but it should be possible to point to a single file that contains that list, in
a well-described format).
2. How to determine which are 'canonical' and which are simply included for
compatibility
3. What is the meaning of an TZID
4. What is the versioning scheme, including assurance that:
    - once a version is issued it is never changed.
    - TZIDs are stable, in the sense that they will never be withdrawn or reused
with a substantially different semantic in later versions
5. An explicit description of the data representation for all of the data files.
It should include common features, such as that data on each line after # is a
comment. It should be possible from the document to understand the format of all
of the data files, completely independent of any code. Again, this can be
indirect: e.g. The data format for the zone.tab file is described in the header
of that file.

It should be possible to read this document directly -- and the lists in #1 and
#2 -- instead of hunting around in compressed files for all the pieces.

A lot of the material for the above are present, someplace on the site. For
example, much of #3 could come from the information in the Theory file from
"----- Names of time zone rule files -----" up to "----- Calendrical
issues -----", but should be reworded somewhat to remove phrases like "When this
package is installed,".

Mark