Time Zone Localizations

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 14 03:05:38 UTC 2004

Mark Davis scripsit:

> When I generate a date right now, and the date happens to be in the
> past at some time, I don't generate it with the conventions that would
> have applied in *on that date* (unless I am doing a historical novel,
> for example).

Well, that turns out not to be the case.  Try "date -d 1943-01-01"
on a system where GNU 'date' is available (Linux, e.g.)  Set TZ to an
American time zone first if need be.

> (Also, we looked at using the Olson TZID abbreviations, but they don't
> appear to have wide currency -- people in the countries in question
> didn't seem to be familiar with them -- so we decided not to use them.)

They are not meant to be authentic, and exist because time libraries
are expected to provide a time zone abbreviation even where they
don't really exist.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on