tzdata 2003e: imperfections

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 17 14:14:48 UTC 2004

John Cowan wrote on 2004-05-17 13:56 UTC:
> Cyprus may be politically part of Europe, but geographically it remains
> part of Asia.  I note that Israel, which is unquestionably an Asian
> country, participates in Eurovision.

Firstly, only the Greek half of Cyprus is in the European Union for now
(the half that prevented the other half from getting in in a
recent referendum).

Secondly, it appears that some officials (e.g., Commissioner Verheugen)
of what is now called the European Union are already contemplating for
the far future wheter to invite various North African and Asian
countries that border the Mediterranean Sea (Tunesia, Morocco, Libya,
Algeria, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine have been mentioned), as
well as various former Soviet republics, including Russia, Ukraine,
Belarus and Moldova.

So if the tz file split is meant to be geographic, then EU membership
is clearly not a good reason to move entries around.

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Lab, Univ of Cambridge, GB
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ | __oo_O..O_oo__