Beginner questions

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed May 26 19:35:48 UTC 2004

Ruby Ballen <RBallen at hypercom.com> writes:

> I set my local time to October 31, 1:59 and I double checked that
> localtime() was in fact giving me 1:59. Two minutes later I was
> expecting the wall clock to go back one hour. It didn't. What am I
> doing wrong?

Sorry I don't know.  It works for me.  I suspect you'll have to debug
it further.

> 2) Is it possible to disable DST changes when using this library?

Sure; use (for example) TZ='MST7', which means to always use Mountain
Standard Time without daylight-saving.  Such a setting would be
appropriate for Phoenix, Arizona after 1968, for example.

> Say the user wants to move the clock forward/backward manually when
> DST is in effect instead of the library doing it for him.

That doesn't sound right.  The internal clock always uses UTC (also
known as GMT), so the user shouldn't have to adjust it manually
(except perhaps for leap seconds, which is a different issue).