Brazil 2004 DST changes.

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com
Tue Oct 5 00:18:42 UTC 2004

Paul Eggert wrote:

>Rodrigo Severo <rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com> writes:
>

>>In the 1st of october the presidential decree 5223 has been published
>>

>Thanks for mentioning this.  Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p at ppires.org>
>also mentioned this, so I'll CC: this message to him as well.
>
>Apparently the original announcement on October 1 did not mention that
>Mato Grosso will observe DST, but this was corrected (or changed?)
>today.

I have not heard of such change and can't find any mention of any
changes anywhere. As far as I know there was just one version of the
5223 Decree with the contents I got to know today. Where does this info
of a changed decree came from?

>Do you happen to know why?  Do you think there will be further
>corrections or changes?

No, I don't think so.

>on Tuesday morning, November 2, and this leads me to worry that 2004
>will resemble 2000.  2000 had a flurry of decrees in September and
>October, each amending the previous one.

A clock change on a tuesday is strange but as it's a holiday I don't
believe there will really be much problems.

As far as I know this change is by no means ment to be permanent. It's
just the biannual change made necessary by the much hyped, supposelly
modern brazilian eletronic voting machines which, apparently, can't deal
with a time change between the first and the second rounds of the elections.

I bet the general rule for brazilian DST will be valid next year, and I
bet that it won't be valid again on 2006 (presidential elections).

I will let you know if there are any news on this subject.

Regards,

Rodrigo Severo