Time Zone change in GEORGIA (Eastern Europe), time zone is now GMT+3 (no longer GMT+4)

Aiet Kolkhi aiet at qartuli.net
Sun Oct 24 20:37:50 UTC 2004

Hello,

There has been a time zone change in GEORGIA (capital: Tbilisi).

Georgia used to be a GMT+4 country, with DST rules just like Berlin or Paris, but since June 27, 2004, the newly-elected Parliament chose to set national time GEST one hour erlier, just like it was in the old days.

As a result, the timzone Georgia belongs is GMT+3 (+1 hour during Daylight Saiving Times, just like it is now). DST rules remain, i.e. DST starts on March 28 and ends on Oct. 31.

You may read BBC story about the change here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3843511.stm

Also, the information has been already corrected at timeanddate.com  Here is the link to Tbilisi, Georgia: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=371

Another important notice: It would be more proper and politically correct to list Georgia in (East) Europe section and not in Asia. Georgia was considered Asian country due to improper information during Soviet times, but since the break-up of the Soviet, Georgia tends to be included in Europe rather than in Asia in more and more places. The BBC link I provided above for example also includes Georgia in Europian region. It is correct, since Georgia has always been more Europian country than Asian, with Christian religion since 4th AD and Europian traditions. Georgia is also a member of Europian Council and the EU flag is hanging next to the Georgian flag in front of Georgian Parliament :)

Please CC any inquiries/replies regarding this matter DIRECTLY to my address, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
 Aiet Kolkhi                         mailto:aiet at qartuli.net