Looking for the TZ command

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu Apr 28 17:28:32 UTC 2005

<<On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:38:50 -0500, Jesper Norgaard Welen <jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx> said:

> Thanks to Ken for this observation, the April-2-1945 timezone change in
> Denmark does go into effect as can be easily checked with the below
> commands

>   $ TZ=Europe/Copenhagen date -d '1945-04-02 00:59:59 UTC'
>   Mon Apr  2 01:59:59 CET 1945

TZ=foo in this case is not a command, it's Bourne Shell syntax for
"execute the rest of this command line with TZ=foo temporarily set in
the process environment".  I don't think cmd.exe has a way to do this;
you'd have to write one-time "batch file" and then run it.  (You'd
still have to get a working "date" utility.)

-GAWollman