Proposed change for new U. S. law

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 13 02:25:41 UTC 2005

[ I had originally sent a version of this on Tuesday morning, but it
failed to go through because apparently lecserver.nci.nih.gov is still
firewalled, and elsie works only because of an MX record. ]

Arthur David Olson <olsona at lecserver.nci.nih.gov> wrote on Tue,  9 Aug 2005
at 09:32:21 -0400 in <200508091332.j79DWLBH001619 at lecserver.nci.nih.gov>:

> Below find my proposed change to the "northamerica" file to reflect new U. S.
> law.

Thanks.

> 				--ado
> --- 201,227 ----
>   # Public law 106-564 (2000-12-23) introduced the abbreviation
>   # "Chamorro Standard Time" for time in Guam and the Northern Marianas.
>   # See the file "australasia".
> +
> + # From Arthur David Olson, 2005-08-09
> + # The following was signed into law on 2005-08-08.
> + #
> + # H.R. 6, Energy Policy Act of 2005, SEC. 110. DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.

HR numbers are per-year (e.g. HR.6 of the 109th Congress), and are
really only useful before bills become laws. I expect it will be
assigned a Public Law number sometime this coming week, and that will
appear at "http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR00006:@@@S".

Can we wait until then and include that number?

--jhawk

p.s.: I keep wondering if its a good time to propose changing the
default name of US timezones to US/Eastern -style rather than
America/New_York, because our timezones are set based on national
policy, and are referred to almost ubiquitously by their
regional-based names rather than their city names (except when
abbreviations are used...)

[of course, this is a problem if the last word of canonical names
must be unique, as US/Eastern and Canada/Eastern, f'rinstance,
would not be.]