Bubba Lewis says Phenix City, Alabama, observes eastern time

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Aug 29 20:26:31 UTC 2005

According to Friday's Huntsville Times
<http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1125047783228320.xml&coll=1>
a few towns on Alabama's "eastern border with Georgia, such as Phenix
City in Russell County, Lanett in Chambers County and some towns in
Lee County, set their watches and clocks on Eastern time."  The Times
quotes H.H. "Bubba" Roberts, city administrator in Phenix City. as
saying "We are in the Central time zone, but we do go by the Eastern
time zone because so many people work in Columbus."

We don't have any history of these changes, so for now I'm inclined to
ask people in that area to use America/New_York.  But I'll put a
comment into the northamerica file.