IANA time zone registration - proposal

Doug Royer Doug at Royer.com
Fri Feb 4 18:30:20 UTC 2005

Thank you.

This is not a proposal for an authority.

This is a proposal for an iCalendar repository that uses the IETF
iCalendar format used by an increasing number of calendaring applications.

Synching the data can be as simple as a few line cron (batch)
job that runs at some interval. A tool  already exists that converts
from the current TZ format and stores the data in iCalendar format. This
just keeps the now few hundred of calendar applications from
having to compile in static versions. Now if they get an appointment
in the FOO/FEE time zone, they can query a source and find it in a
way that is compatible to the IETF iCalendar format. Currently
all vendors have had to make static snapshots, compile it into
their code and hope.