Timezone translations

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 15:30:43 UTC 2005

> >> How about the fact that many English-speaking people [*] use the term
> >> "Daylight Savings Time"?
>
> You wrote "all of English". I may consider Americans to be wrong about
> this, but they refer to "Daylight Savings Time" when asking me what
happens
> in the UK.

Two separate points on collateral matters:

In previous discussions on this list, the consensus has been that "Daylight
Saving Time" (as opposed to "Savings") is correct.  A few Web pages that
confirm this are http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time, and
http://geography.about.com/cs/daylightsavings/a/dst.htm.  I didn't find any
that disagreed.

I am American.  I always use "daylight saving time" in my own speech.  I
would feel uncomfortable using "summer time" in oral discourse to mean the
same thing.  Why?  Because it sounds exactly like "summertime", which refers
to vacation and warm weather, not clock time.  I don't think of "summer
time" as wrong, but as British usage, like "lift" vs. "elevator" or
25/12/2005 vs. 12/25/2005.

--    Gwillim Law