Timezone translations

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jun 6 23:47:28 UTC 2005

"Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

> I don't know if Ireland uses the term GMT and BST, or something else.
> Probably the latter.

Our information is that the Republic of Ireland uses "GMT" and "IST"
(short for "Irish Summer Time").  An anonymous tz contributor verified
this with the Secretary of the Irish Department of Justice.

A couple of other points.  First, the tz database uses "BDST" for
"British Double Summer Time", most recently observed in 1947.  Second,
the abbreviation "BST" is ambiguous even in Britain: for time stamps
from 1968-10-27 to 1971-10-31 it means "British Standard Time", not
"British Summer Time".  This British Standard Time is one hour ahead
of UTC but it is standard time, not summer time.

This sort of thing may all sound fairly baroque, but if it happened in
the past it's possible it'll happen in the future, and a comprehensive
time zone translation scheme should be able to support it.