Time zone: the next generation

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Mar 8 00:04:23 UTC 2005

Ken Pizzini <"tz."@explicate.org> writes:

>     [Did any country which
>     used the Julian calendar in the last 100 years or so (e.g., Tsarist
>     Russia) ever observe daylight saving transitions based on that
>     system of dates?]

Yes.  For example, according to our current data Moscow observed
daylight-saving time in 1917, when the Julian calendar was still the
de facto and de jure calendar.  This was back when Moscow was normally
2 hours, 30 minutes, 48 seconds ahead of GMT.

This wasn't "Tsarist Russia", though, as the Tsar was overthrown
before daylight-saving time was introduced.

Russia is a bit of a special case.  It didn't even adopt the _Julian_
calendar until 1700!  (It used the Byzantine calendar before that.)