Confusing Etc/GMT

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Mar 30 02:36:41 UTC 2005

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs at netapp.com> writes:

> Thinking about it, we could have the Etc subdir untouched and add
> the UTC-1 in the main directory,

No, that'd be worse, since TZ="UTC-1" is a valid TZ setting according
to the POSIX standard; we shouldn't mess with its semantics, even if
we don't like them.

> I find it very dissatisfying that we compile the zoneinfo statically
> only once in a while - 6.5.1 was good only for 2002, but since then,
> the zoneinfo has not been touched until yesterday (see below the two
> BURTs)

It sounds like you're talking about a policy having to do with your
particular software distribution, not with the tz code and data
itself.  In that case, you should be communicating with the people
who distribute your software.