DST rules change for Georgia

Teimuraz Abashidze (IT) tabashidze at geocell.com.ge
Mon Nov 7 13:05:59 UTC 2005

Hello tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov,

  Dear sir! I've posted on bugzilla new bug #172279, and they told me
  to contact you:

You need to discuss this with upstream, i.e. tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov
When upstream accepts a change and incorporates it, we'll then update our
packages.  But as a rule for tzdata we use the timezone data unmodified
from upstream.

Description of problem:
It's not actually a BUG. Government of Georgia (ExUSSR, Caucasia, capital city Tbilisi) decided to
NOT CHANGE daylight sayvings time at 30 Sep. night, as it was done before during last more than 10
years. Currently, we are in fact GMT +4:00, as before 30 October it was GMT +3:00. Currently
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_GE.aspx shows correct time for us. The problem is,
there is NO FORMAL LAW or governmental document about it. A sfar as I can find, I was told, that
there is no document, because we just DIDN'T ISSUE document about swithching to winter time"....
I don't know waht can be done, especially knowing, that some years ago our DST rules where changed
THREE TIMES during one month...
Maybe it's stupid, but maybe it's possible to create TWO separate time zones for Georgia, one with
DST settings, one withought? I could't find a way to disable DST in Linux otherwise...
BTW, of course it's not related to Fedora Core or any particular distribution, this problem shoul be common for all of them...

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Set timezone to Asia/Georgia
2.
3.

Actual Results:  #date
Wed Nov  2 14:56:44 GET 2005
#

Expected Results:  #date
Wed Nov  2 15:56:44 GET 2005
#

Best regards,

Teimuraz Abashidze
Enterprise Network Manager
Information Technologies
Geocell Ltd.

Phone:      (995 32) 770100 (ext.7702)
Fax:        (995 32) 770107
GSM:        (995 77) 458001
E-mail:      tabashidze at geocell.com.ge
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, forwarding,
copying or use of any of the information is strictly prohibited,
and the e-mail should immediately be deleted.
GEOCELL makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of
any information contained in this message and hereby excludes
any liability of any kind for the information contained therein
or for the information transmission, reception, storage or use
of such in any way whatsoever. The opinions expressed in this
message belong to sender alone and may not necessarily reflect
the opinions of GEOCELL.