Daylight Saving Time in Brazil

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Thu Oct 13 00:24:07 UTC 2005

I'm waiting for this discussion to happen since I wrote that HOWTO.
Ironically, I found this thread in my GMail SPAM folder.

In my research for the HOWTO I couldn't find any standards for brazilian
timezone names. This fact didn't surprise me.... So I invented one.

The updated brazilian zic file is being maintained by me and contributors
at: http://avi.alkalay.net/software/zoneinfo/

Contributors keep sending me data for other LatAm countries, found there
also.

I proposed this:

# BREST: East of Brasilia. Fernando de Noronha.
# BRST:  Brasilia, São Paulo, Rio, Northeast, South etc
# BRWST: West of Brasilia. Mato Grosso, Manaus
# BRAST: Acre.

# In daylight saving time, letter 'S' changes to 'D'.

I have a friend at http://registro.br and we discussed a litlle bit on how
to propose this as a standard for Brazil. In fact he is now the
registro.br<http://registro.br>'s
general manager. We didn't go further with the discussion, and nothing
happened in the end, but we agreed that this is something to be defined
together with the Observatorio Nacional.

I'll be more than happy to help making this - or any other better convetion
- to become a standard.

Regards,
Avi