Some modifications of China related timezone info.

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Apr 21 06:44:31 UTC 2006

"Zhe Su" <james.su at gmail.com> writes:

>   Nowadays, China uses only one unified timezone, which is known as
> "China Beijing time", so using Asia/Beijing instead of Asia/Shanghai
> is more reasonable.

We used to use Zone names like that, but this approach scaled poorly
to the practical problem of recording all the world's time zone and
daylight saving time rules since 1970.  So in 1993 we switched to the
current method of identifying every region of like-minded clocks by
its most populous location (e.g., "America/Los_Angeles").  This issue
is discussed in the 'Theory' file, which mentions Shanghai and Beijing
as an example.  It should also help to explain why China has five
entries, not one.

The Zone name is an internal identifier, and is not intended to
correspond to the name that people commonly use for the time zone.
For example, the Zone name Europe/London corresponds to what is
commonly called "Greenwich time" during winter, and there is no Zone
named "Europe/Greenwich".

Ordinary users are expected to employ a front end that maps their
favorite names to the internal identifier.  In China I would expect
the favorite name to be the Chinese equivalent of "China Standard
Time".  If you'd like to do that sort of thing, I suggest
<http://unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/by_type/dates_timeZoneNames.html>,
which contains several strings that a front end could use for
Asia/Shanghai, including "China Standard Time" in English, "Chinese
standaardtijd" in Dutch, and so forth.  There are two different
Chinese translations (I don't know why).  This is all part of the
Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) Project
<http://unicode.org/cldr/>.  If you find an error in the Chinese
strings, you can report them as described in
<http://unicode.org/cldr/filing_bug_reports.html>.

You might be amused to hear that the Shanghai Daily stopped putting
the phrase "Beijing Time" atop their stories last month, because
others incorrectly credited the stories to the "Beijing Times" newspaper.  See
<http://www.shanghaidaily.com/editor/2006/03/02/goodbye-beijing-time/>.