Chile DST history

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Dec 26 00:53:07 UTC 2006

In 2006o, a number of changes were implemented in the tz database for Chile
and Easter Island and the Palmer station. One of the changes follows here:

-			-7:00	Chile	EAS%sT	1982 Mar 13 21:00 # Easter I
Time
+			-7:00	Chile	EAS%sT	1982 Jan 18 21:00 # Easter I
Time

This was based on my data sent earlier, that origins from the page
http://www.horaoficial.htm where it says (my translation)

* By Supreme Decree No. 61, of 19.th. of January, the decree No. 1.142 of
20.th. October 1980 is modified, assigning the time GMT-6 to the Easter
Islands and Salas and Gómez, this way there will be a permanent difference
of 2 hours between the Chile mainland and these islands.

However, in those times most decrees were issued much before the actual
changes took place and I think this would also be the case here. Checking
www.astro.com with Mataveri, it shows Easter Island on "6 h west, Daylight
Time" on 12.th. of March 1982, but on "6 h west, Standard Time" on 14.th. of
March 1982" in my interpretation GMT-6 in both cases, but the first while
being on DST.

My recommendation is therefore simply to revert this change, and setting the
transition time back to 13.th. of March 1982 at 21:00.

Regards,
- Jesper

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the shareware program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/index.html