Question about "only" RULE lines

David Keegel djk at cybersource.com.au
Wed Dec 27 23:36:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 01:43:52PM -0000, David Braverman wrote:
> > it's the last ... rule in effect, which is 1919 Oct
> > lastSun at 2:00, i.e., standard time.
>
> Thank you. That part wasn't clear from the docs.

I think the fundamental thing to understand about rules in tzdata
files is:

    The "Rules" purpose is to specify *transitions* at points in time.

The Rules primary purpose is *not* to specify what offset and
abbreviation apply for a given zone at a particular time.
However, you can easily work this out once you use the rules
to determine what was the previous transition before the
particular time.

Is this documented in zic(8)?