Message to `tz' mailing list

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Feb 17 07:01:51 UTC 2006

This is not ticking in on my computer screen, e.g. I don't understand
the argument that IsGmt and IsStd are irrelevant when you only want to
figure out wall clock time making a program reading the tz file.
However, I may have misunderstood Raghavendra or Arthur David Olson.

In my view the program has to take it into account explicitly, so that
2:00w should correspond to wall clock time, but 2:00u and 2:00s should
be converted to wall clock time base on GMT offset and daylight saving
offset.

Let's look at Mexico City. It has GMT offset -6 and daylight saving
offset +1 between First Sunday of April at 2:00 and Last Sunday of
October at 2:00. Both of these could be stated as 2:00w instead if
desired. But if we use u or s it changes the meaning:

Last Sunday of October 2:00u means that it was 21:00w the day before in
Mexico because in October before DST ends there is 5 hour difference to
GMT (-6+1).

Last Sunday of October 1:00s means that it was 2:00w because we have a
daylight saving offset of +1 just before DST ends. But the next second
we will have 1:00:01s and 1:00:01w because now the daylight saving
offset is no longer in effect.

And Last Sunday of October 2:00s would therefore be 2:00w for the second
time that day.

I don't know if this was what you were discussing?

Jesper Nørgaard Welen