Message to `tz' mailing list

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Feb 17 10:49:51 UTC 2006

    Date:        Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:14:09 +0530
    From:        "N. Raghavendra" <raghu at mri.ernet.in>

  | Perhaps I did not express my question clearly.  I am trying to
  | understand how, given
  |
  |   1. an integer TIME (viewed as a number of seconds since the Epoch);
  |      and
  |
  |   2. a TZFILE,
  |
  | one computes the wall clock time corresponding to TIME, in the time
  | zone defined by TZFILE.  The wall clock time should be returned as a
  | broken-down time value, i.e., as a list of the form
  |
  |   (SEC, MIN, HOUR, MDAY, MON, YEAR, WDAY, IS_DST, TZ_ABBREV, GMT_OFF)

That's exactly what localtime() does isn't it?   All the code is
available (and free to use) - just use it (either the learn from,
or simply to compile into your application).

The raw tzfile isn't used of course, it is converted (using zic) into
a binary format - but if you needed to you could combine the roles
of zic and localtime into one function.

kre